This is a great take on the traditional spinach and ricotta cannelloni. This also works with Manicotti tubes, which being slightly larger, will make about 10 – 12 Manicotti, compared to 18 – 20 Cannelloni. which are slightly larger.
This also freezes, well, so you can store your leftovers (good luck with that, they never last that long in my house).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 800g crushed tomato
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt + pepper to taste
- Handful basil leaves, small bunch of oregano and thyme, torn
- 500g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 500g of vegan ricotta (see recipe on site)
- 4 tbsp cheese sauce (see recipe on site)
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan (see recipe on site)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Grated fresh nutmeg or 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 18 - 20 dried cannelloni tubes
- More basil, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsp of vegan parmesan (see recipe on site)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 - 3 minutes until translucent. Add tomato, water, salt and pepper.
Stir through basil and herbs. Set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in cast iron pan and wilt down the spinach, 2-3 minutes.
Place spinach in a colander and press out most of the liquid (it doesn't need to be thoroughly dry).
Place Spinach in bowl with remaining Ricotta and remaining filling ingredients. Mix, taste, adjust salt and pepper to taste
ASSEMBLE & BAKE:
Preheat oven to 180C.
Choose a baking pan which will comfortably fit about 18 - 20 cannelloni.
Spread a bit of Sauce on the base.
Transfer Filling to a piping bag with a large nozzle (that fits in the tubes), or use a strong ziplock bag. If you don't have either, you can use a teaspoon, but it takes a while.
Pipe the filling into the tubes. Place in baking dish.
Pour over remaining Sauce, covering all the tubes. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove foil, pour, remaining cheese sauce over and scatter nutritional yeast and parmesan cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes until top goes slightly brown.
Serve, garnished with extra basil if desired.